Saturday, 13 July 2013

About Me

I went gluten free to help with my digestive troubles and it turns out I'm gluten intolerant. Then those 'symptoms' returned and that's when I found out I have IBS. I started following the low fodmap diet and my digestive system has improved greatly!

I adapted quite well to the change of being gluten free. Watching out for hidden gluten in products was tricky and I became an ingredient list reader big time! But there was one thing I truly missed, it was pasta or cakes or pastry....it was bread!!!!

So I looked into making my own bread and WOW, it wasn't that easy! I needed so many ingredients and loads of eggs and these weird gums etc etc.....yikes!!!! I think I'll just buy the gluten free bread at the supermarket. Perhaps not! For starters it was $8 for a loaf of gluten free bread! Then the ingredients were not that healthy, mainly starches and those gums again! Not just that there was no taste, the texture was like plastic, false, not at all like how I remember bread.

Back to the drawing board of making my own bread. Real bread. Bread made with whole grains. Bread that was basic and easy. Bread that didn't need eggs and gums. This was going to be a hard task. All gluten free bread recipes claimed that eggs were needed for a good rising bread and gums used to replace the job of gluten. There will be no dough as such but a batter???

From flours and binders to techniques and traditions. A lot of what I have learnt has been a collaboration from other gluten free bakers websites and some of my posts will be direct quotations of their posts. Reason being is simply I couldn't have said it better myself! This blog is about my journey and what I discovered in the world of gluten free bread baking at home!




4 comments:

  1. Marjorie CarrieMay 01, 2014 5:17 am

    Thank you for your phenomenally informative GF blog which has clarified so may complex problematic GF issues for me. I found your site while searching for hydration for Gluten free bread. We were recently catapulted into the GF world when my New Zealand born husband's doctor insisted that the final part of his health issue puzzle was to go GF. After much reading I have concluded that my osteoporosis indicates that going GF might be of help to me also. I have thus been on a quest to create healthy edible GF bread and cheese scones with limited ingredients (GF oats, millet, teff, quinoa, amaranth. brown basmati rice, white basmati rice, arrowroot and sweet rice) due to various sensitivities. Also I am not comfortable with the gums and prefer chia/psyllium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for the delayed reply. I have been away for several months. I'm so pleased that you have found my blog informative for your quest. I do hope you have been bread baking with success!

      Delete
  2. Your excellent pictures and directions on rising an shaping were the final piece of the gluten free bread baking puzzle for me; your method makes bread baking a joy. Our weekly Gluten free loaf was just 20% starches but recently I decided to ditch the basmati brown, rice, basmati white rice, arrowroot and glutinous rice and substituted a can of organic cooked great northern beans. Less starchy, more fiber and more protein and actualy even more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear! Unfortunately beans are a big no-no for my IBS but glad your experimentation worked out for you!

      Delete