Monday, 28 August 2017

Adaptable Gluten Free Vegan Sandwich Bread.

It's been a long time since my last post. I came to a end with my studies and research on gluten free bread but I didn't come to an end of baking gluten free bread however!
I'm still using my original recipe but I have been playing around with the method and the flours. I was finding the original recipe method inconsistent and I wasn't able to get one of the flours I use so I had to substitute with others flours.
I'm still finding gluten free bread baking highly sensitive to it's surroundings and treatment like I explained here but 99.9% of the time every loaf is still a success in my eyes!



The change in method was to do with the binders. Originally I was combining the ground flaxseed, chia seed and psyllium husk mixture in with the wet ingredients but I was finding the results were inconsistent. So I decided whisking the binder mixture into the dry ingredients. So far I am quite happy with the results. The mixture when first mixing wet to dry is quite wet to start but soon starts to coagulate more which then I pour into my lined loaf pan.
The change in flour was having to replace millet flour as it had gone out of stock at all my usual stores. So I tried subbing in with rice flour, brown and white, both with pleasing results. But the best result I had was with organic spelt flour. Now I know spelt isn't gluten free but I do know it's very low in gluten. If your a celiac then this is still an obvious no-no but for me I am gluten intolerant able to tolerate very minimal amounts of gluten. The amount of spelt flour I use per loaf is 70 grams. Perhaps if I was to eat a whole loaf of bread I might experience the painful intolerance symptoms I get from eating gluten but at a maximum I only eat 2 slices a day (typically I get approx. 15 slices per loaf) and I have been fine.



I have been gluten free coming up to 7 years now and my nutritionist had advised me that it is possible over time that small amounts of gluten can be tolerated as the system had healed the damaged caused from gluten sensitivity and built up a resistance to gluten. Beings that spelt is low in gluten and the amount digested per serve is low I maybe ok. So I took the chance and what do you know, she was right! If you are highly intolerant to gluten or have celiac disease then spelt flour is out of the question and I would suggest using the rice flours or millet. But if you are like me, I would recommend giving spelt flour a go.

Gluten Free Vegan Sandwich Bread Recipe


Binder ingredients:
2 tbsp pysllium husk
1 tbsp chia seed
1 tbsp flaxseed

Dry ingredients:
420 g gluten free flour blend (see below)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp unrefined sugar of your choice (I use organic raw sugar)
1 sachet of instant dried yeast

Wet ingredients:
240 ml tepid plant-based milk - soy, rice, oat milk etc
240 ml tepid water
3 tbsp vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
2 tsp white vinegar

Directions:
Grind psyllium husk, chia seeds and flaxseeds to a course powder in a coffee grinder.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and yeast.
Whisk in the psyllium mixture, ensuring there are no lumps.
Whisk the milk, water, oil and vinegar until frothy and well-combined.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a spoon until just coagulated. Spoon/pour the mixture into a 9x4x4 lined loaf pan. Dip your hand or spoon into water to smooth out the top and very gently press down to ensure the mixture is distributed evenly and there are no gaps/holes.
Cover and seal the dough in a plastic bag and place somewhere mildly warm like on top of the hot water cylinder.
Allow to rise until double in size, anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour.
Before dough has fully risen preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
When dough has risen place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 60 minutes, until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan then carefully turn out loaf onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.

Gluten Free Flour Blend 

(This makes enough for the bread recipe above)

Ingredients:
70 g each of:
millet flour or rice flour or spelt flour
sorghum flour
buckwheat flour
glutinous rice flour
tapioca flour
potato starch

Directions:
Sift all of the ingredients into a large bowl.
Then using a large whisk, thoroughly mix together all the flours.

You can also make a large batch, that way you have the flour mix ready to use. Just mix together large equal part measurements of each flour, e.g., 500 g each of millet or rice or spelt flour, sorghum flour, buckwheat flour, glutinous rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch. You will need to have a very large bowl or container for this. You can also use a sturdy plastic bag (ensuring there are no holes or gaps) to mix in then pour your flour blend into a storage container.
When the millet flour is back in stock I will be making my flour blend back to my original recipe. Tho next time I'll use the flour mix for the bread recipe above I will be subbing out 50-70 g and replacing with spelt flour to see what the results are like with millet and spelt.

No comments:

Post a Comment